Monday, February 16, 2009
Bureau report

PESHAWAR: The families of around 61 persons killed and 250 injured in a bomb blast in Kurram Agency headquarters Parachinar on February 16, 2008 are yet to receive compensation.

Almost all of those who fell victim to the blast were the activists of Pakistan Peoples Party, Peoples Youth Organisation and Peoples Students Federation. They were waving the party flags while chanting slogans in favor of their leaders at the end of their election campaign of their candidate Syed Riaz Hussain Shah on February 16 last, when the blast took place.

Since then I have been contacting President Asif Ali Zardari and the PPP central leadership but nothing practical was done for the ill-fated workers,PPP President Dr Syed Riaz Hussain Shah said.

He said dozens of those killed were the lone breadwinners for their families. Of the total 250 injured, four lost their eyes, many lost their legs or hands, while several others developed mental illness.

The PPP government, he said, restored thousands of employees announcing compensations for all the victims of bomb blasts, but has totally ignored the victims of Parachinar blast for the last one year.

I apprised President Asif Zardari on October 20 and he immediately directed the authorities to provide compensation as well as Benazir Income Support Program forms to people of my area, but to no avail, he said.

He reminded that the president had also directed PIA Managing Director Ijaz Haroon to initiate air service to Parachinar to facilitate the residents of underdeveloped areas.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=162843
==============

Subscribe to parachinar616

 

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Advertisements